Motorcycling – the beginning

At the beginning of 2016, I decided that I wanted to learn to ride a motorcycle. Many of my close friends ride, and I frequently fantasize about going on adventures like the ones they’ve been on, so learning to ride a motorcycle myself seemed like a logical thing to do.

Unlike many of my friends, I’m not really a thrill-seeker, so I wasn’t completely convinced that motorcycling was going to be the hobby of my dreams. Still, I decided to be bold and go for it.

I signed up for the beginner motorcycle course taught by Mass Motorcycle School. The course includes 10 hours of classroom instruction and 10 hours of riding and is designed to take you from an absolute beginner to receiving your motorcycle license in a weekend. I thought the course was great, but it was incredibly cold and wet and getting my license was a somewhat miserable experience. I ended up passing with 6 demerit points  (you’re allowed 20), which was one of the best scores in my class.

After this, I needed to purchase gear in order to ride a real motorcycle. I went to Greater Boston Motorsports to check things out – they had a solid selection of various sizes, though I needed to purchase several things online because the colors I wanted were out of stock. I bought a pair of motorcycle pants and bought my remaining gear from Revzilla.

So far, my total startup costs were:

For a grand total of $989. I’m still looking for the perfect pair of boots!